Sunday, May 27, 2007

On Set

Taking classes at VFS is fun and all, but it isn't the only way to learn about the film industry. Today, I earned my first credits - as an extra and a grip - while a short film was being shot. It was easy to do, and now my name will appear in the end credits. That's cool.

These kinds of opportunities are one of the benefits of attending film school. Not only do you get some on-set experience for the resume, but there's the distinct possibility of being asked back for other shoots, or perhaps of being recommended to other directors. It's another foot in the door.

I want to thank Nicholas Humphries of VFS, who was the writer, producer, and director of the short film, for sending the invitation to anyone in the program to come help out. He appreciated the assistance, and I appreciated the opportunity to participate. Best of luck, Nick, when your film goes to the film festival.

No comments: